So . . . Where are we on the roof and building upgrades?
And . . . Well . . . When will I see something?
Over two years ago we made a wonderful start on some very needed work on our building. The wonderful start included the following:
- Procuring a grant for $75,000 from EBOF for a significant kitchen upgrade.
- Raising almost $80,000 towards a new roof through our parish auctions and matching donation.
- Procuring an $80,000 grant from the Board of Trustees for our roof.
- Receiving $14,000 for other capital improvements.
- Upgrading some roof maintenance practices that have allowed us to extend the life of our current roof for a while.
And it has also included:
- Identifying the major areas to address in planning process: the roof, the kitchen, and issues of accessibility.
- Developing a strategic planning committee.
- Committing to developing a master plan for the entire campus.
- Identifying an architect to help us with the master planning process as well as develop plans and oversee construction and reroof processes.
- Meeting with attorneys who have helped us and will continue to help us in ensuring our contracts are sound, responsible and enforceable.
- Identifying the exact right person to lead this effort from the parish: Jim McReynolds.
- Creating and charging a Building Oversight Committee to lead these efforts under Jim's leadership (in process).
So what is next?
- We have identified the needed pieces, and now have the right people to help marshal our efforts forward so we do not have to redo or undo anything. Waiting has been difficult, but has been the right thing to do as we make sure we have a sound overall plan in place.
- We have not had to spend any of the money, which is good. And we know we will need more money to move forward on all fronts.
- We will support Jim and the Building Oversight Committee as they begin to put these pieces together and help us sequence what is needed, and in what order.
- And then we will roll!
- And we will need to raise more money, but we are so blessed to be where we are at this point in the process.